Pages

Sunday, July 06, 2014

What's In My Makeup Bag? (Summer Edition)

Hey world!
Summer has been extremely busy for me, which is why this blog has been so silent, which I am so sorry for. But through this busy and humid summer, my mind has been filled with lots of blog posts that I've been wanting to write, and I have finally set a day to catch up on the parts of my life that have been neglected.

This post is all about what's been in my makeup bag for the last couple of months! I work outside and I am constantly exposed to sunlight and humidity, so I've had to adjust my makeup and skincare accordingly. Being outdoors all day is so nice because I really don't like spending summer indoors, but it does mean that I have to take a few extra measures to protect my skin, as well as lock my makeup in place! I hope you enjoy a peek into what keeps my handbag very full everyday, haha. 
My makeup bag is from Forever 21, and it is durable and easy to clean.

BODY

In terms of body, I like to carry around miniature items.
Mini Fragrance - Warm Cotton by CLEAN: Carrying around something miniature like this is perfect for on-the-go! It smells so fresh and light, and it is perfect for the summer. Because it is such a subtle scent, it's nice to wear to work because it's not overpowering at all
Body Butter - Mango by The Body Shop: This is my absolute favourite smell from The Body Shop, and it's really nice to carry around this mini size for when your hands or arms feel really dry because it is so moisturizing!
Sunscreen - Beach Defense SPF 60 by Neutrogena: I got sent this ages ago for doing a survey for Neutrogena and I didn't give it any thought until I realized how much time I was gonna spend outside this summer, and I am SO happy I chucked this into my bag! It is ESSENTIAL to wear sunscreen in the summer, because it really protects your skin from harmful sun rays, aging skin, and the risk of skin cancer. I apply sunscreen before I leave from a big bottle that I keep at home, but because I spend around 6-8 hours in the sun for work, it's really important to me to reapply my sunscreen when I'm on break, and carrying around this mini tube is awesome for that. It is SPF 60 which is awesome coverage for the summer, and it doesn't have that typical sunscreen smell which can bother other people. It smells really nice, it's light weight, and it is super important!
Tide To Go Stick: Not really a "body" product, but an essential in my handbag no matter what haha. Never underestimate a stain emergency you may have!

FACE

Facial Sunscreen - Ultra Fluid Lotion SPF 60 by Ombrelle: Facial sunscreen is SO important in the summer, and I think people tend to forget about it! I have rosacea, which is a non-serious but incurable skin condition. It basically means my skin is super sensitive, and when it is exposed to things like too much sun/heat or other irritants, it can flare up and get very red. Thankfully it is pretty mild for me, but it is important for me to keep it that way. Because of this, I am super mindful of wearing SPF on my face. This stuff is SO nice, it really is "ultra fluid' because it has a very liquid consistency, so it is extremely lightweight and sits really nicely on my skin under any makeup. It doesn't leave that tinge of white on your face that other sunscreens can give you, and it doesn't break me out at all because it is specially formulated for your face! I highly recommend this for anyone who is looking for a great facial sunscreen.
Concealer: Invisible by CoverGirl in "Honey": This is one of those awesome concealers that you can use as a foundation when you can't be bothered to put any on. I don't wear much foundation on a daily basis in the summer only because the humidity makes it just melt off my face and it feels uncomfortable. I like to just pop a bit of this onto any spots or redness I have, blend it in, and I'm good to go!
Powder: FIT me! Pressed Powder by Maybelline in "Coconut": If I'm looking to even out my skin tone a little more, or my face is feeling oily, I like to apply a bit of this pressed powder. It blends like a dream and it doesn't feel uncomfortable or cakey at all. I am usually not a big powder fan but this has converted me. The packaging also has a mirror underneath which is really nice for on the go.
Setting Spray: All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray by Urban Decay: This is a SUPER mini version of this spray, it's even smaller than the travel sized one but it is SO perfect for your handbag! This was seriously a life-changing product (so overdramatic haha) but it really sets my makeup, it keeps my foundation in place, it feels cooling on the skin, and leaves the most natural finish. It takes away from any powdery feeling on my face and it feels so nice to spray on, especially in the heat!
Flat-Top Brush: Expert Powder by Icing: This brush is AMAZING. It is so soft, it has never shed on me, and it is so dense which makes it amazing for blending anything in! I use it to blend both my concealer and my powder and it's perfect for both!

 EYES

Eyebrow Pencil - Design My Eyebrow by The Face Shop in "04 Brown": This isn't always in my bag, but if I'm in a rush in the morning then I'll make sure to take this with me. It's so easy to use, it has a spoolie on the other end of it, and the consistency of this eyebrow pencil is so nice because it's waxy so it looks super natural when it is applied. It's super inexpensive too, it retails for $4.
Mascara - Clump Clusher by CoverGirl in "Very Black (Water resistant)": Waterproof mascara is the only thing I can use in the summer, because my eyelids get incredibly oily and my mascara will smear all over my face! Not only is this awesomely waterproof, the wand is great for really getting to the roots of the lashes and makes my bottom lashes look long, which make my eyes look bigger.
Liquid Eyeliner: Color-proof Eyeliner (Waterproof) by Sephora in "Black": Again, waterproof eyeliner is an absolute must for me and my oily lids. This has been my HG eyeliner for months now, it is absolutely waterproof and it's super easy to apply! It's been on sale at Sephora for months now so I keep stocking up, haha. I take this around with me in case I didn't have time in the morning and I can apply it super quickly in a mirror right before work!
Eye Primer - Primer Potion by Urban Decay: This is the little sample of the UD primer potion that comes with the Naked palette, but I have the full-sized version of this so I just squeeze the product from there into here, so I never have to go without it! Eye primer so essential to making sure my eye makeup doesn't end up on my cheeks before the end of the day.

LIPS

Burt's Bees Nourishing Lip Balm with Mango Butter
Revlon Colour Burst Matte Balm: 225 Sultry
L'Oreal Extraodinaire by Colour Riche: 500 Molto Mauve
Divergent Limited Edition Cosmetics: Artistic Mauve

These are just the lip products that happen to be in my bag at the moment! As you can probably tell, I'm really into neutral/mauvy pinks right now because it's a good colour for work, and it fits well for the summer time. All of these colours are super easy to wear, and don't need constant reapplication throughout the day, which is something I can't be worried about at work haha. I also like to keep a lip balm with me for practical reasons.

I hope this was a fun post to read through! I really do overpack my bag a bit haha, I could definitely cut a lot of these products down but this is what has accumulated in my bag these last couple of months. If you have any questions about any of the products mentioned, please don't hesitate to comment below so I can give you a full review!

What are the staple items in your makeup bag? Let me know!
Lots of love,
Rachel xxxx

8 comments:

  1. Lovely post,hun!
    Keep in touch xoxo
    Antonella!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colorburst matte balm in the color Sultry! It's my favorite. :)

    Christina
    http://kissesandflowers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those awesome "your lips but better" colours, so easy to wear! :) It's been a staple item in my bag lately!

      Delete
  3. Burt's Bees is always a must in the summer! -- Lindsey

    http://touchedbythesunshine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely agree! I haven't found a lip balm that does the job as well as Burt's Bees!

      Delete
  4. You have such an amazing selection of products here!! I love The Body Shop butters and Burts Bees <3

    www.krystelcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg I also love the mango body butter smells amazing!!
    lovely post <3

    ReplyDelete