Pages

Monday, May 05, 2014

Spring Cleaning - New Makeup Storage

Hey world!

I've been very M.I.A. lately, and for that I apologize! I just finished my first year of university, so exams and moving out of residence has been taking up so much of my time, and I have been feeling super disorganized!
I am a big believer that having a de-cluttered space just makes you feel a little more relaxed and put together, and that's what I've been trying to do. Even though I am a pretty messy person overall, I've been trying my best to get organized so I can try to accomplish all I want on this summer break. I am slowly getting my life (moderately) together, and naturally, the first thing I wanted to organize was my makeup, haha.

I used to keep all of my makeup in a big makeup case, but it was getting hard to deal with. I would have to dig through everything just to find an eyeliner, my palettes were sitting all over my room, and it just took my way longer to do my makeup than I felt it should. I decided enough was enough, and started looking for alternatives.

I was at Target, and I came across a bunch of makeup storage units. They were on sale, so it was a perfect match! I got this one for just over $30, and I think it was a worthy investment. I wish I could tell you what brand this is, but I'm not entirely sure :( They are located on the very bottom shelf of the section where all the makeup bags are in general.
The one I got is grey because I wanted a neutral colour, but there were patterned ones with stripes and animal print if that's more your taste!

As you can see, there are 4 little shelves. When expanded like in the picture below, you can access all of them easily, and there is a bottom section for bigger items.
I organized my makeup in sections.
On the left side, the two shelves hold my eye and lip items, because they all tend to come in a tube form. The top left shelf holds my eyeliners, primers, mascaras, and two of my Maybelline 24 Colour Tattoos (cream eyeshadows), which I am absolutely obsessed with!
The bottom left shelf holds lipsticks, lip balms, lip crayons, etc. Unfortunately I couldn't fit all of my lip products in the shelf because it isn't as tall as I'd hoped, but I keep my most used items, and I can always rotate the products.

On the right shelves, I keep my face/complexion items. On the top right shelf, I have all my mini bottles of primer, liquid highlighters, and two powder cheek products that come in circular form, which is a baked highlighter and a blush. I also have a small bottle of Urban Decay's Setting Spray.
The bottom right shelf carries more face items. My Urban Decay Primer Potion is there because it wouldn't fit on the left side haha :( I have my NARSissist Palette hidden underneath, a L'oreal concealer, and my e.l.f. cheek palettes with bronzers and blushes.
In the very bottom section I keep my big palettes and foundations. I keep them there because the bottom of the makeup storage unit is pretty deep so I can stack items on top of each other. On the right side, I have a big e.l.f. palette hidden underneath everything, my Naked Palette, my Divergent palette which I've written a blog post on before, and a bunch of small eyeshadow palettes from drugstore brands like Rimmel and Covergirl. I also keep my Rimmel Stay Matte translucent powder at the bottom because it doesn't in the shelves haha. On the other side, I keep my foundations and bb creams.

I genuinely think these makeup storage units with shelves are a great way to organize makeup without breaking the bank or having to clear extra space in a drawer somewhere. Organizing everything into sections has made my life so much easier, and now it doesn't take me 10 minutes just to find one item!

How about you? How do you store your makeup? Any tips on organization and DIY makeup storage?

Lots of love,
Rachel xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment